Daily Archives: January 18, 2009

Mad Men Creator Is Back At His Desk


Fans of Mad Men (and if that doesn’t include you, it should, because it is the best show currently on TV) can breathe easy.

Mad Men creator, producer and main writer Matthew Weiner has signed a new deal that will keep him in charge of the show for at least two more seasons.

There was never any doubt that the show would return later this year for a third season – but with all the critical acclaim and awards the show has won, Weiner (previously a writer and producer on The Sopranos) had been playing hardball with the show’s makers Lionsgate TV as he negotiated a pay rise for himself and a budget boost for the show.

The negotiations have dragged on for months and there were fears that the show would continue under a new showrunner if his demands could not be met.

All’s well that ends well, however, and Variety reports an agreement has been reached. Production on season 3 is expected to begin soon and season three is likely to start aring in July.

 Weiner has previously said that his plan is for the show to run for five seasons, covering 10 years in the lives of the characters.

Leave a comment

Filed under Current and recent TV shows, TV News

The Jericho Story Blows Up Again


Jericho – it’s the TV show that just won’t die. Even though nasty network chiefs killed it off not once but twice.

Now, almost a year after the final episode aired on TV, it looks as though a big-screen continuation could be on the way.

The behind-the-scenes story of Jericho is almost as bizarre and dramatic as the plot of the show. For the uninitiated Jericho debuted on CBS back in September 2006. It told the story of a major nuclear attack on the United States and the breakdown in society and the in-fighting and power struggles that followed, all seen from the perspective of the residents of Jericho, a small rural farming town in Kansas.

Mediocre ratings led to the show’s cancellation, with the season ending on a  massive cliffhanger. The show’s small but loyal fanbase weren’t about to sit back and accept that and a surprisingly effective internet campaign was launched, which involved fans sending some 20 tons of nuts to ABC executives (this referred to a scene from the season one finale in which one of the character’s repeats General Anthony McAuliffe‘s historic phrase “Nuts!” from the Battle of the Bulge).

Amazingly, for once, it worked. CBS gave the go-ahead for seven additional episodes and said if the ratings improved the show might continue. They didn’t and the show was cancelled a second time – but at least we got some sort of conclusion to the story.

That seemed to be that – but now producer/director Jon Turteltaub has been doing the rounds claiming that a big-screen version is actively in development.

He said that star Skeet Ulrich would return, along with at least some of the rest of the TV show cast but added that the film would look further outward at the effects of the attack.

He explained: “We’re developing a feature for Jericho. It would not require you to have seen the TV show but it get into life after an event like this on a national scale. It would be the bigger, full-on American version of what’s going on beyond the town in Jericho.”

The Choob really enjoyed Jericho and would like to see the story continue. However, “in development” is a very vague term that means very Little – for example, my own plans to become a billionaire and live a life of decadent self-indulgence have been in development for decades now. So until something more definitive comes along, I won’t be holding my breath.

3 Comments

Filed under Current and recent TV shows, TV News