The sixth and final season of Lost starts airing in the US on ABC on Tuesday, February 2.
The UK date, on Sky One, is yet to be confirmed but will be later that same week. Some sources are reporting it will begin on Friday, February 5. This would be a bit of a surprise, since it has been airing on Sunday nights since Sky One picked it up and also Friday night is not a night that attracts the big audiences.
In any case, the point of this post is to share with you the official final season promotional cast portraits.
Here they are (click on the photos to see larger versions):
That’s no big surprise, given the biblical allusions and symbols scattered throughout the Lost mythology.
Whether the portrait offers any clues as to plot twists or the fate of the characters remains to be seen. A few observations, however:
1. Claire (Emilie de Ravin, right) is back in the main cast, which isn’t surprising as producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof revealed some time ago that she would return to play a prominent role in Lost‘s final chapter.
2. Given Locke’s (Terry O’Quinn) story arc so far – the revelations in the final episode of season 5 notwithstanding – it’s no surprise to see him in the Christ role here.
3. The photo is not an exact recreation of Da Vinci’s painting of Christ and the apostles… however, the character who appears to be assuming the Judas pose is – surprisingly – Kate (Evangeline Lilly). Are they trying to tell us something?
4. Season-five newcomer Ilana (Zuleikha Robinson) is at the far left, next to the mysterious Richard Alpert (Nestor Carbonell, who, I think, also features in the main cast pic for the first time). Frank the pilot (Jeff Fahey, far right) is also upgraded, it seems, from supporting character to main cast.
5. These main cast returnees and newcomers mean that a few former regulars have been, well… Lost. Most disappointingly, from my point of view, both of my favourite characters are missing: Juliet (Elizabeth Mitchell, left) and Desmond (Henry Ian Cusick). I’m sure they won’t be entirely absent from season six but the portrait suggests that they won’t play a big part (note that I’ve been avoiding any spoilers for the final season, so the extent of their involvment – or lack thereof – may already be common knowledge).
6. Less surprising, but still disappointing, is the absence of Daniel (Jeremy Davies), another of my favourite characters. Charlotte (Rebecca Mader) is also missing. Now, given their fates during the course of last season, it’s perhaps not much of a shock – but we don’t know what effect the explosive ending to last season has had (if any) on the characters’ timelines, so they’re perhaps not gone for good?
7. Most of the characters remain in the same positions in both photos but two change sides (Claire and Miles (Ken Leung)), while Sun (Yunjin Kim) and Ben (Michael Emerson) switch places… is this significant in any way?